This page lists locations of the many sustainable efforts within the City of Huntington. We are currently working with Marshall University students to create a map of these projects. Let us know if you would like us to list your project here!
Gardens, Parks, and Green Spaces
- Harris Riverfront Park – accessible through floodwall entry gate at the corner of Veterans Memorial Blvd and 10th St.
- Ritter Park – A walking path, children’s playground and exercise stations dot the 75-acre linear park that stretches along North Blvd. and 13th Ave. from 14th St. West to 12th St.
- Petsafe Dog Park – corner of 12th St and Ritter Drive.
- Green Space surrounding the Cabell County Court House with Rose Garden – 750 5th Ave
- Green Space at Pullman Square plaza – 220 9th St
- Heritage Farm and Museum historic Appalachian village, farm, and green space – 3300 Harvey Rd, Huntington, WV 25704
- WVSU’s SCRATCH Garden – 1400 block of 11th Ave
- Barnett Center Garden – Backyard of their building located at 1524 10th Ave.
- Minton St Community Gardens – At locations along Minton St.
- St. Peter-Claver Community Garden – corner of 15th St. and 9th Ave
- Miller School Park – corner of 12th Ave and 7th St.
- Spring Hill Cemetery Community Garden, hosted by the Spring Hill Garden Association – it is an 85-plot community garden tucked away in the back corner of the historic Spring Hill Cemetery near Enslow Boulevard.
- Rain Garden by the Greater Huntington Park and Recreation District – base of 3rd Street West PATH entrance to the floodwall
- Rain Garden by the Greater Huntington Park and Recreation District – Harris Riverfront park (near restrooms)
Infrastructure and Sustainable City Planning
- TTA Bus System – 13th St and 4th Ave
- Only Green Cleaning Products are used at City Hall – 800 5th Ave
- Permeable Pavers Sidewalk by the Urban Forestry Advisory Committee – 10th/11th Ave and 3rd/4th St
- “Green Pave” pervious surface installation at Harris Riverfront park
- Paul Ambrose Trail to Health – http://paulambrosetrail.org/maps-trails/
- Commuter Bike Map project by the City of Huntington – Download Here
- Plan 2025 by the City of Huntington – http://www.cityofhuntington.com/Plan2025/index.html
- Kroger West: 19 West 7th Ave (parking lot)
- Big Sandy Superstore Arena (located in parking lot across 7th Street from arena)
- Cabell-Huntington Health Department: 703 7th Ave (located at far East corner of parking lot)
- Kroger East: 2627 5th Ave (parking lot)
- Joan C. Edwards Stadium (parking lot)
- E-Cycling – Goodwill’s Industrial Contracts Center at 525 19th Street West in Huntington
- Adams Trucking: 3700 U.S. 60 East, Barboursville, WV
- Depot Street (Barboursville)
- Route 2 (parking lot by intersection for Big Seven Mile Road and Cox Landing)
- Perry Morris Square: U.S. 60, Milton
Sustainable Practices on Campus – GREEN TRAIL
The Sustainability Department at Marshall University is involved with many activities on campus and in the community, including an on-campus recycling program, deploying OASIS bottle water stations, working with the procurement and facilities departments to use “green” cleaning products, instituting a building energy management program, holding internal committee meeting to explore green initiatives, creating a bike loan program, promoting recycling at football game tailgates, holding a public sustainability lecture series and other public events, and pursuing several sustainability grants. In addition, Marshall University has now completed the first Fully LEED Certified building in Huntington, WV: The Applied Engineering Complex. The Sustainability Department is located at the Physical Plant on Marshall University campus at One John Marshall Drive, Huntington, WV 25755.
For a virtual tour of Marshall University’s many green efforts, visit our Virtual Green Tour.
Local Foods & Farmers Markets
- The Wild Ramp, and the Central City Farmers Market, located at 555 14th St W, Huntington, WV 25704
- Critical Mass Bike Ride, third Thursdays at Ritter Park fountain, 10th St and 13th Ave.
- BikeSurf Huntington bicycle sharing project (Herald Dispatch Article)
- Burrito Riders of Huntington, WV – helping to feed those in need throughout Huntington.
- Electric Car Recharging Station – McDonald’s 1st St and 5th Ave.
- Rubberlite Corporation utilized advanced storm water mitigation practices when they recently expanded their manufacturing facility, 2501 Guyan Ave, Huntington, WV 25703